Welcome to All Saints Church Harpole.
The first evidence of any kind of Church in Harpole is a mention of a Priest in Harpole,
in the Doomsday Book, but nothing positive is known until 1150.
Evidence of Norman architecture, though, can be seen on the South doorway,
the Priest's doorway and the font.
As you enter, you can see the old beams and lead plaques from a previous restoration.
Hanging on the west wall is the old Priest's door Circa 16th.C with it's hand made nails.
The old gravestones, underfoot, dating from 1698 were moved from the nave when
the oak flooring was laid in 1974.
Link to the "the Great English Churches" for more information and Pictures
The font is one of the great treasures of Harpole Church.
With the unusual chiselled forms of mystical flora, fauna and escallops,
Norman and Saxon carvings.
The Tower is about 800 years old.
At the bottom is the W.C. (completed together with the kitchen area in 2000).
And above, the bell ringing chamber with 6 bells, that are rung every week.
Another project commemorating the Millennium
was the framed tapestries worked by the parishioners aged 9 to 90.
The pelican window above is ancient glass, but all the other
stained glass windows, although beautiful, date from around
the time of the 1904/1905 restoration and are mostly memorials
to influential or wealthy patrons.
the architect responsible for the 1904 restoration was one
Matthew Holding, who later went on to build St. Matthews' church in
The embroidered kneelers, found in all the
pews, were made in 1984, again by parishioners.
On the arch, fronting the now gone Chantry Chapel, are two
finely carved grimacing heads and past these two sepulchral niches,
the first of which contains a stone coffin.
It may be surmised that this could have been the
tomb of Norman de Salceto - the probable founder of the church.
If you look up, 2 or 3 steps can be seen in the opening that
would have led from the Rood Screen to the Rood Loft.
Entering the Chancel, the organ was installed
around 1925 and later the oak choir stalls dedicated to
Mr. W. Kirby, who was the school master and choir master until 1937.
The lovely wooden high alter was given in 1903 for the restoration.
The east window shows Christ ascending in glory surrounded
by His apostles and a myriad of angels. Under this window,
and continuing on to the south wall, is the Norman semi-circular
There are breaks in this for the inclusion of
the priests' door and, in the 13th century, a Sedilia and a
Piscine were added.
The memorial plaques are to former Rectors
Coming out of the Chancel and back to the south
aisle, above the old altar rails (17th c), hangs a beautiful
quilt made and presented by Ann King in 2004.
Also on this wall is war memorial and the table of
rectors in Harpole Church since 1224.
Above these hang various Charity Boards, some of which
are still in practice today, though as gifts of money instead
Harpole Church is still a thriving part of the village and our
benefice of Bugbrooke, Harpole, Kislingbury and Rothersthorpe.
Services are held every week and the church is open every
day 9.30am - 4.00pm for anyone who needs it. All are WELCOME !
Compiled by June Bennett 2010
All information taken from A History of the
Church of All Saints, Harpole, Northamptonshire By Jeremy Calderwood.
(Available in the church).